Interesting treasure-trove dug-up on the popularity of various early 70’s scare-tactics. Anybody remember, “The Helstrom Chronicles” – or even Willard…? After all, the Polar Vortex was once a well-known cause of global cooling, now because of “global warming” it’s back in the Media spotlight. ooga-Booga!! Back in the mid-70’s there must not have been any (or not much) money (or even Science) in the Academic pursuit of Global Cooling, but the Media Elites got behind it anyhow, just as they always do.
Some interesting takeaways from the conversation and comments:
- During the 1970s the media promoted global cooling alarmism with dire threats of a new ice age. Extreme weather events were hyped as signs of the coming apocalypse and man-made pollution was blamed as the cause.
- nuclearcannoli says: March 1, 2013 at 10:25 am The ‘solutions’ always remain the same even though the scare has evolved to the complete opposite claim of what it once was. This is basically a give away that the motivations and goals of these people are political, not scientific. It’s called “…therefore, socialism.” It’s getting too hot, therefore, socialism. It’s getting too cold, therefore, socialism. There are too many people, therefore, socialism. There are too few people, therefore, socialism. Funny, how no matter what the problem is, the solution always seems to be to give a select group of people, with no discernible expertise in any particular subject, more and more of our money and freedom.
- Here we have a small compilation of global warming and global cooling scares since 1895 reported by the media. These alarms run in cycles, just like the climate. Fire and Ice Published 2010 http://www.mrc.org/node/30586
- Now here is his 1971 paper predicting another ice age. Description/Abstract Rasool, S.I., and S.H. Schneider, 1971:
Atmospheric carbon dioxide and aerosols: Effects of large increases on global climate.
Effects on the global temperature of large increases in carbon dioxide and aerosol densities in the atmosphere of Earth have been computed. It is found that, although the addition of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere does increase the surface temperature, the rate of temperature increase diminishes with increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. For aerosols, however, the net effect of increase in density is to reduce the surface temperature of Earth. Because of the exponential dependence of the backscattering, the rate of temperature decrease is augmented with increasing aerosol content. An increase by only a factor of 4 in global aerosol background concentration may be sufficient to reduce the surface temperature by as much as 3.5°K. If sustained over a period of several years, such a temperature decrease over the whole globe is believed to be sufficient to trigger an ice age.
- And years later Dr. James Hansen is predicting a runaway Venus style Earth. By the way they used a program written by Dr. James Hansen. Here it is in Hansen’s own words. “……What was that program? It was a ‘Mie scattering’ code I had written to calculate light scattering by spherical particles. Indeed, it was useful for Venus studies, as it helped determine the size and refractive index of the particles in the clouds that veil the surface of Venus. I was glad to let Rasool and Schneider use that program to calculate scattering by aerosols…..”
- As Jack Maloney says: March 1, 2013 at 12:01 pm Dr. Reitze’s current CV from the University of Utah lists “climate change policy” as an “area of expertise,” and he has published numerous articles on climate change, greenhouse gases, carbon sequestration, etc. The climate alarms may change, hotter or colder, but the “experts” remain the same. 😦
Lotsa fun stuff for the slasher-movie crowd who also gave us the faux “snuff-film” scare and Satanists at childe-care centers. When will they ever apologize? Nothing to see just move-on… No small wonder how that group got its name.