From the NRA-ILA…the Michigan House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to repeal the state’s dumb-ass handgun “permit-to-purchase” and illegal registration requirements. (My emphasis added)
House Bill 5225 passed in the state House by a 74 to 36 vote. HB 5225 would repeal the bureaucratic state “permit-to-purchase” handguns and instead utilize the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System. House Bill 5498 and House Bill 5499 also passed in the state House along with HB 5225. These three bills now go to the state Senate where they will be assigned to the appropriate committees.
Some of the key points of HB 5225 as amended are:
- Repeal the state requirement to seek police permission to purchase a firearm by traveling to a local police station and obtaining a permit to purchase.
- Repeal the requirement to register a completely legally purchased and owned firearm by a law-abiding citizen to be registered with the government through the police.
- Adopt the use of the federally-funded National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
- Default to the federal standard of prohibited persons and each purchase would still require a background check.
- Cut Michigan’s costs by using the federally-administered national instant background check system and eliminate wasted man-hours of tracking lawful gun owners in Michigan.