…you get flash-floods. Feast or famine. Hope you guys way up in Sierraville and also down in the Southland are OK. Maybe one day this state will have a water policy that’s intelligent rather than political,, but ever since the FIRST days of Olde-Californy when the “ditch-tenders” sold water to the get-rich wealthy miners, farmers couldn’t afford it and agriculture had to wait – the supply and demand situation has always been about mo’ money.
A Walter Russell Mead Blog post Via Meadia in The American Interest takes New York to task for Blue-model social policies that exact a high price to live in that hell-hole, but it might as well be written about San Francisco and the Bay Area.
The low and middle classes are being priced out of a life in New York City. Even as many residents spend fifty percent or more of their earnings on housing, the majority of the city’s “affordable homes” are still out of reach. House prices and rent have risen by more than forty percent since 2001, and landlords, betting on gentrification, are evicting existing tenants in favor of wealthier ones.
What he neglects to say or discuss is the intentionality of such real-estate leveraging, and how the poor who live adjacent to such vast wealth and who service the needs of the Über-Affluent, are often and mainly/precisely those who live in the shadows: the illegal aliens and their “handlers” – and how the Blue System as set-up effectively allows and essentially requires of them to “Game” the System in order to survive. They avoid the big financial institutions and it’s costs (and taxes) by living out of a cash economy working under the table. They most sensibly use all the available free-resources granted to them by Blue-Model policies and institutions in Education and Healthcare: free School Lunches and (a marginal) Education for their children, Hospital Emergency Rooms as HMO’s. And yet the Blue-Model’s Left adherents keep saying that theirs is the only workable way to achieve “Social Unity” (and other utopian-drivel vision) and that Cities are the wave of the Future… Yet just look at what they find inspirational; the politically corrupt, stinking shambling wrecks they expect people to inhabit like Detroit, Chicago, San Francisco and New York. This is not a vision any clear-sighted person would seek-out. These are not The Emerald City of Oz, nor a City on a Hill of out Founders. These are the trainwrecks of Casey-Jones’ Blue-Light Special Social Engineering, festering cesspools of decay and heaping piles of corruption. This is not the garden it is the mulch-pile where good intentions rot away and turn to methane. These are the boils and hives of some kind of disease – like the Picture of Dorian Gray…
The upside-down flag is an unofficial symbol of distress, an SOS.
It’s also a symbol of America itself turned upside down.
In the face of harassment and threats against the right to free speech, allies of liberty are fond of saying “We will not be silenced.”
It’s a statement that projects confidence, defiance, and vigorous defense of one’s rights.
But, as noble as this declaration may be, it’s not wholly true.
Because a sufficiently painful harassment, or a sufficiently grave threat, will in fact silence those who would otherwise enter the public square.
Two people have already been silenced. One man has been arrested — arrested, for blogging about the criminal history of Brett Kimberlin, and for describing his ongoing ordeal at Kimberlin’s hands.
Unless Congress acts — and acts swiftly — there will be still further innocent citizens subjected to Brett Kimberlin’s lawless vigilantism.
Brett Kimberlin does not want people writing about his past — a past that includes convictions for serial bombing, drug smuggling, perjury, and even impersonating a member of the military.
MAYDAY! MAYDAY! MAYDAY! is an alarm that is sounded when your ship is in gravest danger – and that applies equally to your society.
Repeated from Kevin:
Today is the fourth annual Victims of Communism Day, a day to remember the people murdered by their own governments in their quest to achieve a “worker’s paradise” where everyone is equal, where “to each according to his needs, from each according to his abilities” is the beautiful
dream lie. R.J. Rummel, Professor Emeritus of Political Science at the University of Hawaii, has calculated that the total number of victims of Communism – that is, the domestic victims of their own governments – in the USSR, China, Vietnam, North Korea and Cambodia is 98.4 million people.
For all Communist governments during the 20th Century, he puts the estimate at approximately 110 million. And this wasn’t in warfare against other nations, this was what these governments did to their own people – “breaking eggs” to make their utopian omelet.
Six million Jews were murdered by Nazis during the Holocaust, and another six million people who the Nazis decided were simply “undesirable” went with them. “Never again” is the motto of the modern Jew, and many others just as dedicated. But “again and again and again” seems to be the rebuke of history.
Communists are hardly alone in these crimes. Rummel estimates that the total number of people murdered by their own governments during the 20th Century is on the close order of 262 million, but the single biggest chunk of that truly frightening number is directly due to one pernicious idea: That we can make people better.
“… it is not for nothing that we have chosen the name National Socialist German Workers Party (NSDAP), because at heart we are Communists.” Joseph Goebbels. ”We are socialists, we are enemies of today’s capitalistic economic system for the exploitation of the economically weak, with its unfair salaries, with its unseemly evaluation of a human being according to wealth and property instead of responsibility and performance, and we are all determined to destroy this system under all conditions.” –Adolf Hitler
Reposted from comments: Civil Unrest by Violent Extremists.
What exactly are the Rules of Engagement for civilians during a breakdown in Civil Order when Teh Police are incapacitated or otherwise unable/unwilling to respond – especially when those who have actively precipitated and participated in causing that breakdown are threatening you on your doorstep?
Recent #OWSFail activity in Socialist-mismanaged municipalities (Oakland, CA) show a strong tendency for the Socialist-imprimatur Judicial-Class (in that jurisdiction) to be lenient on pampered, brainwashed, full-grown, mentally-stunted affluent “Activists” who wantonly and feloniously destroy hard-earned private property (for the fleeting, briefly-stimulated pleasure of an ideology), but have never had to earn any of it themselves and indeed are quite incompetent to do so.
1.) Are there really any “innocent” active-participants in rioting and thuggery?
2.) Is a simple camera or camera-phone really a sufficient *excuse* to participate in mass-activism and still sustain plausible deniability and avoiding a Second-Degree warrant?
3.) When such *participation* results in destruction, injury, or death is that not still a Felony, Assault in the Second Degree? Can that be plea-bargained down to Reckless endangerment in the second degree? Can I bend them over a waterboard and give them the THIRD degree?
4.) Do you submit to being deprived of your immediate and future life by stupid ass-clown thugs with metal teeth, or deprived of the rest of your life by incarceration, under a heartless .Gov?
5.) Does the
guy asshole hiding his identity under the black hoodie get the first one? (Guess!)
6.) After you finish with them, do you submit the cleanup bill to their dumb-ass parents who failed them so miserably in Life?
Following Tam, I wandered over to Sonic Charmer at Rhymes With Cars & Girls to smarten-up and git me some edumacation. While there I chanced to drop a comment at Andrea’s Spleenville, where the meme-in-progress was being rendered with What color is your bubble?, who goes on a good tear and says:
Anyway, for your amusement, I’m going to answer RWCG-guy’s parodic takeoff on the test.
And I thought, “Hey, Likewise!” Somebody please score me because I went to California schools where they used us as New-Math guinea-pigs, and subsequently I can’t do the math.
But first my Certificata from Test-Ology Camp, and before I attempt to gather some cleverness together, first I have my say.: UPDATE: bLAH-BLAH-bLAH
Moi? Part of the New Upper Colostomy? So, on to the fun part:
- Ivy league? Went to one (or Stanford): 2 points. 0 or Oops 2 – does three Quarters at Stanford count as anything? I am too close to the local Megaversity.
- # of Malcolm Gladwell books read? Who? 0
- Best TV show in history? 0 - Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea! Sheesh, or Rat Patrol! The Wire? 2 points. The Sopranos? 1 point. Never watched a single episode of either of those shows, don’t have/never had cable. Is CableTV a prerequisite for Teh NEW Upper Class or a precursor for Teh Damned Lower Class – is it a Uniter or a Divider?
- Complete the sentence: “The science is AMAZING! VULCANOLOGY! ” Huh? Settled? 2 points. In: ? WTF? In ?? 1 point. 0 – I see what you’re trying to do there but it won’t work and you shouldn’t sneak in another UN Globular Whore-ming question.
- (a) People drive too much (b) I live in a big city where PARKING is teh SUXXOR and car-robbery is rampant: Both: 2 points. (a) only: 1 point. 0 (c) Ride a motorcycle and be even more Elitist and Superior! Where’s my freakin’ Flying Car they promised, you call this The Future?
- What’s there to do in K-Town? 0-k, K-whaa? Karaoke and Korean food: 2 points?? Korean food: 1 point? Kolkatta on the Hoogly where the flying fishes play, and the sun comes up like thunder out of Burma ‘cross the Bay…
- Name a sport that’s on the decline. 0 Baseball is a sport? Don’t they play Baseball-games? As Hemingway said, Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports, all the others are games...
- Zagat? Have it: 2 points. Know what it is: 1 point. 0 – Something to do with Android phones, or iPhones that all the rich (employed) assholes have?
- I helped recommend my college friend for a job he/she got/got a job from a college friend’s recommendation.Both: 2 points. One: 1 point. 0 – I didn’t get any help (or was in a position to offer any) from College friends for anything, jobs or nuthin – and don’t have much connection with the ones I went to School with – I guess it didn’t “stick”.
- Worse grades in college, Bush or Kerry? Bush: 2 points. I see what you’re doing there, but the premise of that question is flawed: 1 point. 0 – Kerry had ‘em worse.
- What’s the matter with: Wassamatta-U Kansas? 2 points. That’s a sentence fragment: 1 point. I heard it was a book or something by an Edu-snoot.
- Good reason for private elementary school for your kids? I believe class size/personalized attention is bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla anecdote about your own kid]: 2 points. I researched a lot of bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla and an X% effect with an R^2 of [bla bla]: 1 point. 0 – Private Schools are good and necessary to counter and avoid the propaganda and dumbing-down of education that occurs in Teachers-Union Government Skools, but really you should get off your ass and Home-School like I was, partly anyhow.
- Bush’s Brain: Yes I saw that documentary, what about it?: 2 points. Um, is dumb/damaged? (duh): 1 point. - 0 this question is a h8er.
- (a) Approve of Obamacare (b) haven’t read it/pretty much don’t know the details at all: Both: 2 points. (a) only: 1 point. 0 – No. NEVER, there’s no excuse for it.
- Sarah Palin would be a terrible President because she’s:Dumb and crazy: 2 points. Crazy: 1 point. 0 – She’s brilliant and all the rest is h8ter propaganda and some dork who thinks it’s not her child.
- Name two Nobel Prize winners. Nobel, Barack Obama and Paul Krugman: 2 points. Barack Obama and (someone else): 1 point. Paul who? The Peace Prize Terrrorist Killer Obama? Heisenberg! Eugene O’Neill! No Nobel Prizes awarded between 1940 and 1943, wonder why, think maybe #OCCUPYNORWAY might have somethign to do with it?
- After she graduates from grad school you’d be most pleased for your daughter to get a job at a: Nonprofit: 2 points. Hedge fund: 1 point. I don’t have any children. If I had them, I’d be pleased if they got a job anywhere that got them out of the house.
- (a) Believe in Anthropogenic Global Warming (b) know nothing about climate modeling and have never studied let alone engaged in anything of the sort: Both: 2 points. (a) only: 1 point. No, it’s a fraud on an international scale that’s rapidly coming apart.
- Podcast: This American Life: 2 points. Other NPR-related: 1 point. The Vicious Circle – only podcast I ever heard about – but I don’t listen to podcasts.
- Fill in the blank: GUNBOAT Diplomacy! Smart: 2 points. Cowboy (as in “Bush’s Cowboy diplomacy”): 1 point. 0
- Constitution and Obamacare: I don’t see how Obamacare can be unconstitutional: 2 points. I recognize the tension but I pretend not to and instead insist on arguing that Obamacare fits inside the Commerce Clause: 1 point. Didn’t we already have an Obamacare question? It’s un-Constitutional and Illegal and WRONG.
- Alexander Payne movie: Max Payne? Sideways: ?Quel? 2 points. Citizen Ruth: ?1 point. Never heard of him, don’t go to movies – saw Sideways on DVD.
- (a) Cities are great because of all the cultural opportunities, like the symphony/museums/etc. (b) Don’t really go to the symphony/museums/etc.Both: 2 points. (a) only: 1 point. Cities are places with stuff all gathered into one place, and the Military calls it a TARGET. Bombs away!
- A kind of tax we need more of: Pigouvian: 2 points. Value-added (or financial-transaction): 1 point. 0?? Pig-what? LESS taxes of all kinds, taxes are STUPID.
- Who’s dumber, a PhD or an MBA? MBA: 2 points. PhD: 1 point. A PhD with an MBA. PhD’s generally are blockheads who stop thinking and can’t be taught anything more once the sheepskin hits their hot and sweaty little fist.
OK, I’m done – put a fork in me…
Certainly much more is available on the utter and abject failures (some intentional, some structural, all insidious) of the Leviathan tentacle I call Behemoth Educratology, much of which can be found in the writings of Gun-Rendezvouser and friend Kevin Baker at The Smallest Minority, but MidwestChick delivers this superb gem.
Seriously, does the Obama team do any fact-checking?
This particular factoid from the SOTU is quite ironic. The Colorado school (grades 6-12) that Obama praised (School Hailed by Obama Succeeded by Firing Teachers, Bucking Union) as a model school is one who was granted an exemption from union rules in 2007. They had all teachers re-apply for their jobs and only six made the cut. The school’s first graduating class had a graduation rate of 97%. You’d think that his fact-checkers should know that this school goes in direct opposition to Obama’s connection with the teachers unions. So, at least one path on the step to student success is the punting of teachers unions. Interesting….
Look it up in Wikipedia and see a picture of a Weenie. Firedoglake – I should have known, havn’t been there in over five years, it’s a third-circle of Hell mental wasteland. The smoke and stench that comes off the burning lake drives people mad, and those who swim in it are intellectual skeletons. After reading a number of sources and comments about this vicious-tongued, violent-minded little creep – a hairy little mental-midget – one common thread of opinion emerges: “He must have got beat up a lot in school.”
I doubt it, because fights and violence teach a lesson whether you like it or not and produce at a minimum, interaction with concrete “facts” and physics – and evidently he has not learned much outside his little bubble worldview. I submit he has zero actual experience with violence apart from movies, video-games, and comic books – and based on his motor-mouth skills I’m guessing he’s been able to avoid it entirely. Violence might have taught him something, empathy at least for victims of Government – but I suspect even that is too much to ask his shriveled husk of a brain.
Kids like him, JournoListas, have been coddled their entire lives and grown-up in an affluent hot-house bubble. That’s what makes it so easy for them espouse the actual, violent views of unrestrained Marxist ideologues – they have no idea what threats of real violence and subjugation their political policies demand. Their contempt for Capitalism also shows they also have no idea how much sweat and actual labor it takes to work and save and buy a car, so that you can stop taking the bus (or bicycle) and get to work in a better job, in a better place, on time and advance your career – or what it’s like to have your stuff stolen by thieves. Kids like him live in a Lotus-land of pre-provided prestige and opportunity and get their “jobs” the old-fashioned way, through patronage. And they call them selves journalists.
What a day. H/T Alan But FIRST it was the thing with the kids that got me.
Despite and amid all the circus smoke, buckets of tinsel and confetti, and wacky mirrors of ginned-up “outrage” over AIG and the general confusion caused by money in amounts so huge it could go around the Moon twice, yesterday the US House of Representatives shamed itself in a huge way. They might as well have poured a bucket of liquid excrement upon themselves.
It pushed-through something called the “The Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act” – known as the GIVE Act, by a 321-105 margin, which now goes to the Senate. It seems there’s even a provision for Uniforms(SEC. 1508.) and of a PERMANENT CADRE.
Since when in a Republic (or a real Democracy) do we use the Euro-words “cadre”? It’s a kinda give-away to who’s/which Central Committee is planning this…
Obama Youth will be indoctrinated in the principle of “service learning,” which will be a “mandatory part of the youth curriculum in all of the secondary schools served by the local educational agency”. I think it sounded better in original German in the 1930’s when it was announced on the floor of the Reichstag – before they burnt it down.
Then there’s the whole redistribution of wealth thing that’s the main, big, Rocky and Bullwinkle Media slight-of-hand, nothing-up-my-sleeve – it’s all about chewing up the airwaves and demanding attention to prevent any bit of light from being shone behind the curtain. Like the above action. And the ilegal AND unconstitutional bill of attainder, which wouldn’t pass even the most cursory constitutional challenge; so it was re-written to be broader…
Then Journalist/blogger Fetching Jen sends me an email of some further intentions by our non-taxpaying Socialist Apparatchik Overlords:
I just found out about a meeting coming up on April 2nd that is being held by Common Cause. It is being billed as a “Community Discussion about Local media” but buried in the memo is:
“The Federal Communications Commission has proposed the establishment of community advisory boards to local advise local broadcasters. How would the community benefit from this?
How would the stations benefit?
Should local print and Internet resources also have community advisory boards? Why?
The Obama administration is trying to create “advisory boards” that will control the content of all media: print, radio, television and internet (bloggers).
We must attend this meeting and stop this immediately.
The evening’s discussion will be recorded and a report submitted to local media and the Federal Communications Commission. Feedback may help establish federal policies impacting local media ownership, increased localism, the establishment of community advisory boards, radio and television licensing procedures, and more. Read the memo.
It reminds me of the time I visited a nasty little village and had to walk past an outhouse on the way to get there. The out-house was called Checkpoint Charlie and it was a rather ugly and dreary place. This is exactly how a portion of the STASI did their thing, through constant monitoring of Communication channels. Then they sent reports to their superiors.
I thought we got rid of this ugly, vile, filthy crap twenty years ago when the Berlin Wall came down – something I had prayed for ever since visiting the rotten, pustulant, open-wound that was East Berlin. It was a project that started on 6 June 1944 and was never quite finished.
But noooo, now we have a disproportionate bunch of greedy, unscrupulous, tax-evading, power-hungry Senators and Congressmen in office who have forgotten what it was all about.
H/T to GunRendezvouser American Citizen at Traction Control for the inspiration. As John McCain observed, “For A Guy Who Has Already Authored Two Memoirs He Is Not Exactly An Open Book.”
Also for a guy who’s got to demonstrate his executive experience to America, “he remains strangely silent about his eight years (1994-2002) as a director of the Joyce Foundation.” Is he a quiet guy just because of Ayers, or does that quietness include the shenanigans at the Joyce Foundation? Maybe he got a little help from another published author. What if Ayers wrote Obama’s books? That might very well explain his reticence at discussing his relationship.
In the great tradition of Democrat Politics the propaganda machine is revved-up and press-releases are pumped out, media-friendly fictions are created to enhance a candidate’s resume and position – so why is it so hard to find actual Obama scholarship and publishing? We all know now that JFK (with whom Obama likes to compare himself) didn’t himself write Profiles in Courage. He was a lousy writer but a great talker (like Obama without the teleprompter). Jackie helped but JFK’s ghost- and speech-writer was Ted “Ask-Not-What-Your-Country-Can-Do-For-You” Sorensen – and it even got him a Pulitzer Prize! That book helped established JFK’s intellectual credentials and helped make him a credible presidential candidate. It launched his political career on a Presidential trajectory – much as Obama’s two efforts are geared-towards.
Jack Cashill has written a book on intellectual fraud called Hoodwinked and says, “I developed an eye for literary humbug, and Dreams serves up an eyeful.”
Prior to 1990, when Barack Obama contracted to write Dreams From My Father, he had written very close to nothing.
As an undergraduate, Obama had written what he justifiably calls some “very bad poetry.” He published nothing under his own name in The Harvard Law Review, where he served as an editor and as president. And after leaving Harvard, he published nothing in its review or in any law journal.
Then, in 1995, this untested 33 year-old produced what Time Magazine has called–with a straight face– “the best-written memoir ever produced by an American politician.”
Obama’s memoir was published in June 1995. In January 1995, Ayers had chosen Obama, then a junior lawyer at a minor law firm, to chair the multi-million dollar Chicago Annenberg Challenge grants.
In the fall of that same year, 1995, Ayers and his wife, Weatherwoman Bernardine Dohrn, launched Obama’s ascent to political stardom with a fundraiser in their Chicago home.
In short, Ayers had the means, the motive, the time, the place and the literary ability to jumpstart Obama’s career. And, as Ayers had to know, a lovely memoir under Obama’s belt made for a much better resume than an unfulfilled contract over his head.
The Left loves to have their own poetry and prose published – including even such well known Nobel Laureate-frauds as Rigoberto Menchu (faked autobiography), and scientific ignoramus Algore’s An Inconvenient Fiction (using among other things, computer-generated Antarctic ice shelves from the 2004 science fiction film “The Day After Tomorrow”).
Socialist Dictators from Tajikistan to North Korea use the State to fund their insane literary efforts that every citizen has to watch and listen, sung or danced or enacted on TV – and taught in school as a part of their education. Education remember, Ayers is an Edu-guy.
Even more-so than the Mainstream Media in general, the Publishing Industry is heavily and famously pro-Democrat, so much so that most conservative books receive a negative (if not merely unresponsive) reception at best and are often pushed aside to marginal, smaller publishing houses despite an enormously successful and proven post-publishing sales record. Yet the Big Publishing Houses still offer huge advances to kack-handed and futile Lefty writers who flounder and flail (Pelosi’s book) as they seek to advance the narrative – as they so often like to put it, “By any means necessary.”
Obama dissembles lethally when he describes Ayers as “just some guy in my neighborhood.” He is much more than that and quite possibly, as I have argued, the real author of Dreams From My Father.
The publisher of Dreams, the openly liberal Peter Osnos, tells how Obama dumped his devoted long time agent after Dreams took off and then signed a seven-figure deal with Crown, using only a by-the-hour attorney.
Obama pulled off the deal after his election but before being sworn in as Senator, this way to avoid the disclosure and reporting requirements applicable to members of Congress.
Isn’t that just Hopey and Changey…